Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Please Leave My Daughter Alone!

I think I have a pretty good idea about how five year old kindergartners act. I know that they like to be silly and say funny words. I also know they can be really sweet and show many signs of altruism. My children are not perfect, but they are very kind and compassionate to those around them. Why are they like this? They are like this because their father and I model this behavior for them. So when a child is mean to one of my own children, I have a hard time wrapping my brain around it. I do not like to run to the teacher and tell on another child and I generally tell my children to ignore “mean words” of other children. Recently my daughter has been coming home complaining that a little boy is calling her names in her classroom. This evening she even cried about it. I have talked to her about staying away from him, but this is not always possible in a classroom situation. Now I have to decide if I should write the teacher a note or not. Some mothers would not even hesitate to pick up the phone and call the teacher. I am not like that though. I tend to let situations work themselves out on their own. My daughter's tears got to me tonight. I do believe in this case I should write a little note to the teacher. After all, it is my responsibility to keep my children safe from all harm. Even the harm of “mean words”.

No comments:

Post a Comment